A few weeks ago, I was tagged on Facebook with one of those games where you share 25 fun facts about yourself. I'm just narcissistic enough to have secretly enjoyed it and thought I'd post it here for a "get to know me better" moment. I'm not one to run out and tag others, so if you want to spread the love, feel free to take it and run with it. Go on and share 25 scintillating tidbits about yourself too! You know you want to...
So, grab a cup of whatever and get to know Allyson on a whole new level.
1. I have a lot of funny quirks. Not “I like to suck my thumb and rock back and forth” funny, but just a bunch of little things I’m picky about. Like foods not touching, light switches all facing the same direction, and not using the first square on a roll of toilet paper.
2. I am easily swayed by good grammar. If I have to choose between Person A and Person B, I’m going to be friends with the one who knows the difference between there, their and they’re.
3. I love shoes.
4. I have an evolving list of The Top Ten Things I Want to Do in My Life. It ranges anywhere from personal long-term goals, to little trivial things that I think would be fun. When I mark one off the list, I add another, so there’s always ten things.
5a. I’m a really bad flyer. It makes absolutely no sense to me that all that metal can stay up in the air and I’m pretty certain it’s going to plummet out of the sky any minute. I grab people, pray, think up worst-case scenarios and say bad words. All before we leave the runway.
5b. I’m also not a very good road-tripper. I like the idea of taking to the open road, but when it gets right down to it, I can’t sit still that long, I get bored easily which usually results in saying inappropriate things to other people in the car, and I can’t pee on the side of the road.
6. I’m a closet girly-girl. I secretly love pink, and dressing up, and spending lots of time on my hair. I don’t do it much, because let’s be honest, I’m outside all day and the weather has no mercy for curly-haired girls who spend an hour straightening their hair for work.
7. I’m the roving-eyes observant type. Details matter. I’m always watching what’s going on around me, and filing tidbits of useless information away for a rainy day. It’s both a blessing and a curse. So if you think you just shot a secret, smoldering glance to the cute guy who no one knows you’re seeing, I know about it.
8. I have a photographic memory. This was great for cramming for vocab tests in high school. I could just look over the sheet of words and bring up the photo in my head at test time. It’s really bad for watching scary movies or accidents on the side of the road because I never forget what I see.
9. I have a really excellent collection of friends. I am so blessed in this area of my life. Everyone should be so lucky.
10. I love my job. For reals. I love to get up in the summer and go to work. Every day is fun and exciting and sometimes I just stand there and think "This is so cool!"
11. I don’t like water I can’t see through. So that pretty much rules out everything but swimming pools and bath tubs.
12. I’m not a touchy-feely person. I don’t hug everyone when I leave a party. I don’t play with people’s hair. And a massage is completely out of the question.
13. I love books. Not just because I love to read, but I think a home is so much more inviting when it’s full of books. All the colors and textures. And that wonderful book smell.
14. I like to cook for lots of people. There’s something very satisfying about mass-producing food. Plus, when you feed people, they’re happy, and what’s better than a houseful of happy people?
15. I collect colored dishes. Fiesta ware is my friend.
16. I come from a long line of Disney fans. I’ll never get tired of roaming aimlessly around Disneyland, breathing in the smell of Main Street, and taking that same picture over and over in front of the floral Mickey. After countless trips, it still moves me to tears when I think of how one man's dream changed the world.
17. I'm a sucker for men who play the piano. That’s hot.
18. I’m a star in my car. I love to turn the volume up and belt it out like I know what I’m doing. This usually includes fist pumps, heart-crosses and air kisses.
19. I make the best chocolate-chip cookies. Ever.
20. I like to make lists. Lots and lots of lists. And not on the computer. I like them hand-written with a fine-tip Sharpie on yellow legal pads.
21. I’m very sentimental. Traditions are important to me. I attach emotional significance to a lot of things and events, so I don't always embrace change with open arms.
22. I'm that one person who likes fruitcake.
23. I have broken my feet four times. Four separate incidents of falling from grace. I didn't learn to walk any better, but I did learn that a cast will get you in the back door of most rides at Disneyland.
24. I was named after a girl my dad dated before he married my mom.
25. My dream vacation home is a cozy little A-frame cabin in the woods with a clawfoot tub and a big wood stove.